There are a lot of things that you need to keep in mind while buying or selling a property. Buyers think about the location and if the space is enough. For sellers, it is mainly about getting the right price. But these are not the only things. Finding the right property is important, but your work does not end there. Conveyancing is also a very important part of the process. Here you will find everything that you need to know for finding the right conveyancer for your needs. Let’s start with the basics.
The process of transfer to ownership of the property from seller to buyer is called conveyancing. It is a lengthy process with a lot of paperwork. Understanding all the legal terms and other technical things is not possible for a layman. That’s why people prefer hiring a conveyancer. This person is a qualified and trained professional who is completely familiar with the transfer of property ownership. You will need the assistance of such a person while:
- Selling or buying a property
- Changing, removing or registering the easement
- Subdividing a land
- Transfer of ownership in case of owner’s death
Hopefully, you now understand who a conveyancer is and why do you need one. Let’s now take a look at all the things you can expect from your conveyancer. If you are buying a property, the conveyancer will prepare all the legal documents for your side and also clarify the ones prepared by the seller’s side. He/she will make sure that there is no legal dispute or any other issue related to the property. The payment will also be handled by him/her. If you are a seller, your conveyance will sort all the paperwork and will represent you in the legal issues related to the deal of that property.
You might think that any conveyancer can handle the paperwork easily and that there is nothing to worry about finding the right person for the job. Well, you will be absolutely wrong to think so. A conveyancer does a lot more than just paperwork, like calculating the taxes and finding the legal ways to minimize them. So, if you hire the wrong person, it can add hundreds of dollars to the price or can delay the process. It might even harm the deal. Basically, it is really important that you find the right conveyancer. Here are a few tips for that.
Finding the right conveyancer
- People make property deals every day. Someone you know must have done it too. Talk to your friends, colleagues or neighbours if they know a good conveyancer. You can even browse the internet to find reviews or customer experiences.
- It is not necessary that you start looking for a conveyancer when the deal has been finalised and only paperwork is left. You should actually start looking as soon as you find a good real estate agent. This will not only give you enough time to find the right person, but will also let you take the assistance of the person you hire while finalising the deal.
- A good conveyancer is not always a lawyer. You can even find a solicitor who has the required experience in property deals and conveyancing.
- When you have searched for a good conveyancer, you will probably have a couple of names. Now you need to make the final decision. You should conduct meeting with all of them one by one. Take their interview just like you did while finding the right real estate agent. You should keep in mind the important things that should be considered while making the final decision.
Things to be considered
- The most important thing is that the person you hire should be regulated and insured by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority.
- Generally, a conveyancer specialises only in one or two types of properties. So, the person you hire should specialise in the kind of property you are dealing with.
- It is not always possible to anticipate when and where you will need the assistance of you conveyancer. So, it is good if the person you hire is easily available.
- You should base you decision entirely on the cost, but still the charges should be reasonable.